Old 22-08-2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Trees and Texas

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 19:02:16 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

I shake my head sideways, but not for the same exact reasons as Jang. She
mentions zones. In those zones are different trees. Those trees require
different, if not indifferent, treatment to wounds. Depends on the tree
and
the general area (zone). Same zone, 8A, I'm not going to treat primary
branch cut wound the same way to a pecan, chinaberry, live oak, or ashe
juniper. In NE Texas, there's different trees as well. Different
strokes.

If they (TX trees and zones) don't fall into your weblink guidelines,
maybe
you should develop some on your own. Instead, you want to isolate TX tree
problems for your own musings in this newsgroup. A true "professional" at
work.

Being in the U.S Navy for 20 years and working with people from all 50
states and the Phillipines, I 've found the Texas natives much higher in
the
unmeasurable thing called common sense overall. I can't attest for people
with college degrees, and similar. Lot of 'em in highly populated areas
don't seem to be able to reason, just research and follow the norm. Odd,
it
seems when times are hard, the more people rely on "common sense". No
matter their education level. Food for thought, John.

Dave,

The only tree which is painted is the Live Oak. And then, only if the
tree is pruned during a very small set of window periods when the
vector is transmitting the oak wilt disease into fresh wounds. When I
prune my Live Oaks at the proper time during the summer or winter
periods I do not paint the cuts. NObody asked John about his opinion
of Texas tree practices, but he forces it down the throats of all
involved. He couldn't answer any questions about trees unless his cut
and paste tool works, so I believe it must be broken. He has no idea
what he's talking about.

Am a big believer in trial/error, and observation when nothing is done, and
observation of results after something is applied as a remedy. K.I.S.S. is
probably my biggest pitfall in use of pesticides, soil additives, and
pruning; I do as little as possible of those.

The only time I've pruned live oaks is in the dead of winter, no paint. You
can't "hurt" the cedars no matter when you prune them. Just don't top them
off, they're ugly as sin and keep growing anyway.
--
Dave