Old 22-08-2008, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stan The Man Stan The Man is offline

Default First-year asparagus help please

On 2008-08-21 14:48:18 +0100, M said:

Grrr, although I grew mine from seed they are only approaching six feet
after 5 years. I haved staked some (with the stick well away from the base)
to stop them snapping off. I cut mine down when they go yellow and dispose
of the growth as its supposed to harbour asparagus beetle.

Does that mean you don't harvest all your crop? I had imagined that
everything would be eaten before it grew beyond a foot... Or does the
plant produce some inedible shrubbery?