Old 22-08-2008, 07:36 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.gardens,sci.bio.entomology.misc
z z is offline

Default Are common house ants cannibals?

On Aug 21, 12:01*pm, Donita Luddington wrote:
Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night
so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar
instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers,
I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken
over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have
disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet
another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the
dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice
them to cannibalism?

sure. E.O. Wilson, the Harvard bug expert, said that if ants ever
discovered the nuclear bomb, they would end all life on earth.