Old 22-08-2008, 09:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Spaghetti Squash - How do you cook it?

On 22 Aug, 09:29, "Mike Derby" wrote:
"Tim W" wrote in a message: What I want is to get something on my plate which looks like a pile of
spaghetti. Cold ideally but hot would be fine. Jane Grigson says boil it
whole for 30-40 mind then cut it open and voila spaghetti but I am having
trouble separating the spaghetti-ish bits from the skin and the flesh
under the skin and the seeds and pulpy bits in the middle.

Any tips, methods and hints would be welcome.

First wash and clean your squash, then cut it in half lengthways. Remove the
seeds with a spoon. Place the two halves, cut sides down, in a large
casserole dish. Season with salt and pepper. Pour in enough cold water to
half cover the squash. Place in a moderately hot oven, bring to the boil and
simmer for about 30 minutes or until the squash is tender. When cooked,
remove squash and drain. When it has cooled, you then remove the 'spaghetti
bits' ( strands!). Place them in a bowl adding herbs of your choosing, basil
or chopped parsley perhaps, carefully forking through. Enjoy!

MD.

I've always boiled it whole then cut open remove the "Spaghetti" and
add Spaghetti sauce and eat, removing the seeds as you eat.
David Hill