Old 22-08-2008, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Very small rodent ID

In article ,
Sacha writes:

| I don't think so. I said it was dark on the back and to me that's how the
| Bank vole looks in those pics! I don't remember seeing reddish brown,
| though. It seems about right for size and 'shape', too so maybe it's some
| other kind of vole? OTOH we do have several banks in various areas of the
| garden! I'll keep an eye open for it and see if it comes to the same spot
| again.

Nope. The only likely British vole is the bank vole - the others are
unlikely to climb, too large, or both. And, despite the name, bank
voles don't particularly favour banks. But they are very common.

They can be told from mice by being blunter faced, with shorter tails
and smaller ears, and slightly stockier in appearance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.