Old 22-08-2008, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Poe Poe is offline

Default Can raccoons climb

General Schvantzkopf wrote:
My corn patch is surrounded by a wire fence but it hasn't kept the
raccoons out. I don't see any holes under the fence so I don't know how
they are getting in. Can raccoons climb wire fences?

I caught one last night in my trap and moved him to some conservation land
about 5 miles away. I've reset the trap and I fully expect to catch
several more, but from past experience it's pretty much impossible to make
a dent in the raccoon population. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Is it an electric fence? That's what I use, to shock critters so they
bugger off. Unfortunately raccoons are very good climbers, agile, and
pretty clever when it comes to overcoming obstacles. Where I live, if
you trap one it is illegal to move it, it must be killed (though I have
moved them, because I don't have the heart to kill).

But to answer, yes, it probably grabbed the fence with it's little hands
and climbed right over.