Old 22-08-2008, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 02:19:17 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

Oh, I use the Ironite once a year. It's turned over with the fertilizer
and
organic matter. I'll see what Seaweed costs. I may not be able to afford
spray a 900 to 100 sq. ft of garden every 10 days with it. To spray the
plants lightly takes 3 to 4 gallons of water. More organic fertilizers are
now being priced outside our budget. I can no longer afford bone and blood
meal. Organic gardening is becoming something for those of higher incomes,
not for the retired.

You are overusing Ironite. I mean, use it if you want, but you are
wasting money by using it too often. What are the symptoms you get
which tell you to apply Ironite yearly?

The plants are not a good rich green color once planted out in the gardens.
The get paler as summer passes. The soil is alkaline from natural limestone
locking up any iron in the soil. By late summer they're almost chlorotic.
That doesn't happen with Ironite. Also, our Hollies and Azaleas would die
from chlorosis before we started using sulfur and Ironite. I did buy some
stuff for Hollies and Azaleas this year. I didn't use the Ironite on them.
But who knows what poisons are in any of these products? There's no way to
know. How can I even know what's in the 10-10-10 I buy?

I' d be more honored if they ate their natural diet and not my veggies.
Wild turkeys were out under the pear tree today munching on the fallen
pears. Actually we don't suffer too much damage from animals.

What do scavengers eat naturally?

That depends on which scavenger you're talking about. Even humans can fit
into that category. Insects and bugs are the worst garden pests here, not
animals.