Old 22-08-2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Can raccoons climb

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
My corn patch is surrounded by a wire fence but it hasn't kept the
raccoons out. I don't see any holes under the fence so I don't know how
they are getting in. Can raccoons climb wire fences?

YES! And so can possums and squirrels. So far I haven't seen skunks or
rabbits climb.

I caught one last night in my trap and moved him to some conservation land
about 5 miles away. I've reset the trap and I fully expect to catch
several more, but from past experience it's pretty much impossible to make
a dent in the raccoon population. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Run a "hot" string of electric fence wire a few inches above the top of your
fence. A double row about 5" apart will work even better. That will keep
them all out. It did for me.