Old 22-08-2008, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default foxes

"Tim Perry" wrote in message

I came across this today......

http://tinyurl.com/58tboy

pk

Hi PK,
Took a peek at that website, what method will you try.

I know many will disagree, but my feeling is this,
Any damn fool can destroy, but very few could create.

If you keep animals, be they dogs, chickens, hippos, whatever,
the onus is upon you to keep them SECURELY CONTAINED.
I kept sheep for 25 years, never lost one to a fox, plenty to stray
dogs. Similarly, I am not amused if next doors chickens scratch
hell out of my fresh seedbeds.

The onus is not upon the fox to ignore free and so easily got
grub.

So we close up our chickens in the evening.

And the fox comes in during the day, even when we're within feet of it, it
having clambered up and over a six foot wire fence.

And the fox kills the chickens - not for grub because they're only killed,
not eaten.

So your next answer?

You just have to make those sheds seem much less enticing, and
scent is a good option. Diesel, Creosote, Jeyes Fluid, could work

Could?

They don't work for long.

Tim, you're wrong.

So do you have another answer?

We've spent a huge amount of time, energy and money building a fox-proof
fence but even that wouldn't be possible in some situations.

Fox are vermin, especially in cities, and should be destroyed. A gun,
properly used, is the only effective answer - but it's not permanent because
others will fill the void.

Mary