Old 23-08-2008, 01:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

"paghat" wrote in message
In article , "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

Alas, I don't have your income and you seem frustrated that not everyone
can
afford organic gardening.

Is you joshin'? It's too expensive to not have to buy lots of harmful
chemicals for the garden?

What harmful chemicals? Organicide? Neem Oil? Pyrethrum? Malathion (the
cheapest).... I don't follow you.

Or do you mean you can't afford to waist money
on the rarely needed natural products (which tend to cost the same or less
than any other product for the same use) when you have to save funds for
lots of costly chemical swill?

Excuse me.... Malathion was one of the cheapest of the lot. The organics
didn't work. I tried them first as you already know.

On organically balanced garden with diverse plant species needs no
artificial soil ammendments and is less inclined to pest or disease
problems, incurring few costs.

Exactly! This is an unusual infestation in the one "balanced" garden of
diverse plant species.

A garden that is out of balance (probably
from chemical use) will be more rather than less susceptible to return of
diseases and pests (for many reasons, such as the fact that harmful
insects bounce back more quickly than the beneficial insects pesticides
also eradicate), inducing the "need" for further purchases of costly
harmful chemicals.

And yet this one garden has never once been sprayed since this is it's
second year of use. It laid fallow for 2 years after my accident.

In short, organic gardening is gardening on the cheap!

You haven't priced organic products then. Are you getting all your fish
emulsion etc. for free? Here it's $8.99 a small bottle -enough for one
tomato or pepper plant for the season.

Non-organic methods
feed into themselves -- expense builds on expense.

Yep! That's why I should have bypassed the expensive useless organic sprays
as soon as I saw the first insects appear rather than use them and let the
population build as it did.

-paghat the ratgirl

--
visit my temperate gardening website: