Old 23-08-2008, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default NEEM anyone use this in garden

On Aug 19, 10:24 am, "Jim C" wrote:
I am considering trying neem for pest control in my garden, mainly for
(hopefully) any kind of bugs, , lava, etc that may be in the soil..just
wanted to touch base with anyone who uses it in the conecentrated form 2 tbs
per gallon..many thanks

What "bugs" (not all insects are bugs!) do you have? Each
has specific control methods. Further, some shouldn't be
controlled at all, such as the assassin bugs I just found lurking
among the tomato blossoms.

Neem is overrated. Most of it comes mixed with insecticidal
soap, which is probably the effective ingredient.

Had a long ongoing battle with sciarid flies, aka root
maggots, absolute *******s who'd wait until a plant
was near its peak before killing it. Tried every bug killer
from pyrethrins to BtI. Nothing worked until I switched to
bottom watering. Problem solved, and it cost me nothing.
Cultural methods can sometimes be the best.