Old 23-08-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Steve Young Steve Young is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote

Marie Dodge said:

They don't sell liquid seaweed where I live. I don't care to start
ordering things online because the shipping is often as much
as the items to be shipped.

Try nematodes for that relationship, then try finding live ones locally

For what relationship? ???

The relationship between product cost and shipping. You seem to refuse to
pay shipping, yet willing to spend for a wrong product. Example: Pat tried
to help you below, but something was wrong that

Yes, but some things are cheap at twice the price, and sometimes
shipping is nowhere near equal to the cost of the item shipped (even
these days).

Consider Maxicrop seaweed *powder* where you avoid paying to ship
water:

http://www.arbico-organics.com/1313001.html

Get it shipped by priority mail. It's cheaper.

The product is $14.75 and shipping is $11.50 = $27.25!

(I would have recommended The Eclectic Gardener, as a satisfied
customer, but they are sold out of Maxicrop powder. )
http://www.eclectic-gardener.com/maxicroppowder.html

If I ever play and win the Lottery maybe I can afford some of this high
priced organic stuff.

oh poor me
I guess you'll just have to kick back and retire from gardening.

Why should I do that simply because I can't afford the things YOU can?
Clue #1 - Not everyone has your income. :-)

You're joking? We are trying to teach you cheaper-better but you are
recalcitrant. Nothing works but what you have your mind set on

Here we are, off to Lowes again
I'm in Lowe's and Home Depot regularly and yet haven't seen any of these
organic fertilizers. Perhaps there isn't enough call for them here. Or
they're so expensive people wont pay the price. Twice I bought the
liquid Iron and twice it turned into a tinny smelling liquid once
opened, with white stuff like scale in it at the bottom. That was when
I switched to Ironite.

You're wanting to buy the wrong stuff at the wrong places and then
disappointed that you can't, or you get overcharged

I can only shop at the stores that are here.

Where? 100 feet from your front door?

I've given you leads and links to many.

There's a nursery that carries bone and blood meal and I think they still
have Fish Emulsion. It would be several hundred dollars to purchase
enough for our gardens. People are not buying these high priced items.
They're going for the bags of General Fertilizer and Ironite.

Probably because they are not familiar with the chemistry. Does that mean
you have to use it too?

What did you find out about the other places I pointed you to? How was
talking with Eric?

As others have pointed out, your problem probably is not an iron deficiency.
I agree, it's more likely a magnesium deficiency coupled with a nitrogen
deficiency as the summer wears on and the soil gets dry. Magnesium is
required for iron absorption. But hell, heap on the Ironite, at least you
can find that with your eyes closed and you'll feel better that you're doing
something.

Sprinkle some Epsom salt, rather than Ironite. Water it in and I'll bet
you'll see the difference this year. Prolly within a week or two.

Steve Young