Old 23-08-2008, 04:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Zootal[_3_] Zootal[_3_] is offline

Default NEEM anyone use this in garden

I've tried different pesticides, and they worked well, but only for a short
period of time. After four days or so the bugs returned, but the pesticide
instruction say not to apply more then once a week, and with some vegetables
you have to wait several days or more before you can harvest. Also, there
are some plants you can't use them on at all. I'm not opposed to using them
on occaison, but I don't want to use them as frequently as I needed to get
the bugs under control. Neem can be applied more frequently then most
chemical pesticides, can be applied to most plants, and you can harvest the
same day. I've found it effective in controlling cucumber beetles and flea
beetles, but I have to apply it every four days or so. Once the plants get
big enough, the bugs don't hurt them and I don't need to use it anymore.

You don't want to control any kind of bugs, you only want to control the
bugs that eat your plants. Most bugs are either beneficial or don't do any
harm. Only a few will harm your plants, and those are the ones you want to
kill with extreme prejudice. In my case, Neem either killed them or drove
them away.

And I'm pretty sure Neem won't work on bugs in the soil. I have something
that eats radishes and turnips in the first inch or two of dirt, and I'd
very much like to get rid of them because of the damage they do.

"Jim C" wrote in message
I am considering trying neem for pest control in my garden, mainly for
(hopefully) any kind of bugs, , lava, etc that may be in the soil..just
wanted to touch base with anyone who uses it in the conecentrated form 2
tbs per gallon..many thanks