Old 23-08-2008, 04:56 AM posted to sci.agriculture.poultry,alt.permaculture,rec.gardens,aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Egg-laying Chickens – supplementing their grain di

Gas Bag writes:
Then I have covered the whole pile with a plastic tub of sorts. The
hole I have dug in the ground is actually quite shallow, so most of
the food scraps are actually above ground, not below ground level. I
am assuming that in a week or so, this compost pile should be
absolutely writhing with masses of worms…..hopefully.

You are starting in winter, so by Christmas if you're lucky.

A better way to grow worms is to get a pile of cow manure and leave it
undisturbed (away from the chooks). In a month or so it will start to
develop a healthy colony of earthworms, and you can gradually harvest
some to feed to the chooks.

Earthworms are different from compost worms.

• Any specific do’s or don’t’s?
• How long should the worms take to fill up the pile?

What's with all the binary characters?