Old 23-08-2008, 11:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

Marie Dodge said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

That's the beauty of a dry powder. Sits there on the shelf so you can
mix it up as needed.

How large is your garden and how often do you spray it?

Let's see... I used to use more Maxicrop than I do now. After 18
seasons of adding compost, mulch, and organic fertilizers, the soil
is still very sandy, but much improved from what it was, at least in
the top 18 inches. Below that, it's pure sand for at least 10 feet,
probably more. (I live on top of a fossil sand dune, which was
on the shoreline from thousands of years ago when Lake Erie-to-be
was much bigger.)

A good soak at transplant (I transplant everything other than corn,
squash, and beans). A light sprinkle a week or so later.

One or two foliar sprays during the season, all over. (This used
to be more frequently done. I've cut back.)

Spot treatments for any plants that "look like they need it."

I have 18 intensively planted beds (each roughly 4 by 8 feet) plus
one long narrow bed (20 by 3 feet), plus a herb area, and also
two beds of raspberries. Several of the garden beds get both
spring and fall crops. It's all worked by hand with a broad fork
(no power tillers).

The flower gardens (there are a bunch of them) might get one
spray in the spring, and any transplants get the same treatment
as the veggie transplants.

The garden is looking a bit sad right now, as we are hurting for
rain. Can't fix that with seaweed spray...

After enlightenment, the laundry.