Old 23-08-2008, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

Pat Kiewicz wrote:
Marie Dodge said:

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message

That's the beauty of a dry powder. Sits there on the shelf so you can
mix it up as needed.

How large is your garden and how often do you spray it?

Let's see... I used to use more Maxicrop than I do now. After 18
seasons of adding compost, mulch, and organic fertilizers, the soil
is still very sandy, but much improved from what it was, at least in
the top 18 inches. Below that, it's pure sand for at least 10 feet,
probably more. (I live on top of a fossil sand dune, which was
on the shoreline from thousands of years ago when Lake Erie-to-be
was much bigger.)

Drip irrigation might work well there. The best garden I ever had was
in central Texas in 100+ degree heat and thin poor soil. I'd been
struggling to garden there for several years, and finally I set up an
inexpensive drip irrigation system and mulched everything that wasn't
leafy enough to thoroughly shade the ground itself. The garden just
exploded (in a good way.)

Bob