Old 23-08-2008, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default foxes

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Rusty Hinge 2
wrote
The message
from Tim Perry contains these
words:

Hi, I am a bit of a fan of the fox, I envy them, if I could be just
half as good a hunter I'd be as fat as lard !!

Aye. And kill and kill and kill and kill

Inappropriate snip

Why is it that the 'final solution' is suggested for foxes

Because they have no predators except man. Years ago there would not have
been a problem with hens being killed in the day. Foxes only came out at
night and if you shut your hens up at dusk they would have been safe. Foxes
were afraid of humans then.
Now, stupidly, it seems from the TV programs that it's nice to feed them and
then they realise the humans are not to be feared. That's a bad idea, leads
to them being around in the daytime and getting into conflict with people
who keep chickens and are rightly annoyed by a daytime fox killing the birds
they thought were safe.

but when
people ask about other vermin such as the cat a different approach is
always suggested. Cats do a lot more damage in an urban environment than
foxes ever will.

That's a whole different kettle of fish. Cats are people's pets.

If you have problems with urban foxes the solution is to trap them and
release them back into the countryside where they truly belong. Local fox
lovers have had a recent mass release of urban foxes in North Dengie area
with no reported complaints from the locals.

NO, NO, NO. It's just passing the problem on to yet another poultry keeper
who will then get his birds killed in the daytime.
Or, like happened here when I suspect the local council were doing this a
few fields away I caught a fox every few days in the catch alive trap. It
was not a benefit to them to be released near here. They were used to
scavenging on takeaways and discarded chips. I suppose they were hungry for
a few days when they came sniffing around round my birds in the countryside.
Too bad. A 22 bullet took care of them in case anyone thinks there will be
a happy ending for advocating that city foxes should be released "into the
countryside, where they belong"
We do not want your foxes, thank you very much..