Old 24-08-2008, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

If you're nice, I'll show you my pesticide collection. :-) Chlordane,
dursban, diazinon, nicotine sulfate, Cygon, lindane, all kinds of stuff
you can't buy anymore. Pretty brown bottles. The thing is though, I try
to see just how *little* I can get by with. (the chlordane and dursban
are being saved in case i ever have to deal with subterranean termites;
that's the only thing I'll use them for.)

Agreed! I use as little as possible and only when nothing else works.

I haven't used any pesticides this year except on my apple tree (and that
didn't work very well, next year I'm gonna try sticky traps)

Fortunately nothing has bothered our pear tree.

As to the Ironite, it contains arsenic and other heavy metals that
accumulate in the soil. Use it once is probably OK. Keep using it, and
the soil arsenic levels just get higher and higher. Do you know what
Ironite is? Mine tailings from a toxic waste dump in Arizona (or maybe
it's New Mexico.) Instead of cleaning it up, they put it in 5# bags and
sell it to unsuspecting gardeners.

It was the only Iron I could find that wasn't a liquid.

Bob