Old 24-08-2008, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
mogga mogga is offline

Default Dividing / Relocating Crocosmia.

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 09:39:52 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 16:36:12 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

I have a clump of Crocosmia which has been in the way when I access my
runner beans, and I propose to move the corms to a border in the front
garden, for an easy colour splash next summer.

The online info I found says "divide between March and May" so I'm too
late for that. Should I lift the corms and store over winter, or
just transplant them, and if so, when?
Advice please?

After the leaves have browned and died down, I can't see that it makes
much difference when you move them. I suspect you'll find you've got
more corms than you need when you come to dig them up, so perhaps back
it both ways: plant some straight after lifting, some in spring.
Depending where you are, I would cover the ones you plant straight
away with a thick leafy mulch to protect them from frost. But you may
be in a mild area where frosts are few and not penetrating, in which
case I wouldn't bother with the mulch.

We are talking about "Oop North", Manchester area, so I may decide to
leave them until Spring.

I know Crocosmia are a bit of a joke really, but I am becoming a lazy
gardener in my old age, and keeping the borders clear of grass and weeds
is becoming an effort. :-(

Ah do it not and if they all die you can come and get some out of my
garden.

The unpredictable weather means spring is the new autumn. Butterfly
eggs have appeared on my washing line this week. Aren't they a bit
late?
--
http://www.freedeliveryuk.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk