Old 24-08-2008, 03:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Wilson[_3_] Wilson[_3_] is offline

Default Freezing green beans.. How?

sometime in the recent past Jimmy posted this:
I want to freeze a lot of green beans and have them crunchy when thawed out.
Any way to do this? If I blanch them then freeze them will they be soft?

Thanks,
Jimmy

You blanch to destroy the enzymes that would turn sugars into starches and
essentially continue the growing sequence of the fruit. Blanching green
beans for 3 minutes and then immersing them in ice water to stop the
cooking. Spin in a salad spinner to dry them a bit before a quick pat down
on a clean towel and freeze. This will keep the beans the freshest they can be.

My great-grandmother recalls threading beans and hanging them in the attic
to dry out and then later hydrated as needed. Sorry, I can't guess at how
they tasted, but anything is better than nothing in mid-winter.

--
Wilson N44º39" W67º12"