Old 25-08-2008, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens
paghat[_2_] paghat[_2_] is offline

Default Snakes? Deterrent tips to keep them away

In article
,
MajorOz wrote:

On Aug 20, 9:32 pm, (paghat) wrote:
In article
,

MajorOz wrote:
A snake deterrent I learned as a kid was to encircle the house with a
rope. Not some new polyethylene stuff, but an old fuzzy hemp rope.
Snakes won't cross it, as it tickles their belly.

cheers

oz.....and if some brave snake does cross it, you can hear him giggle
and run out there and shoot him.

I wonder what the rationale is that might underlie this old wives' tale?
It has absolutely no truth to it of course. It goes on the pile with "try
to kill a snake, it won't die until sundown" "snakes can bite onto their
own tail and role downhill as a hoop-snake" "all snakes travel in pairs"
"snakes hypnotize their prey" "Cottonmouths cannot bite underwater"
"rattlesnakes add one rattle a year" "hognose snakes can poison you with
their breath" "pilot snakes lead other snakes to their winter dens" "all
venomous snakes have triangle patterns on their head" "milksnakes suck
milk from cows' tits" "hang a snake around your neck to cure a headache"
"snakes never go near ash trees and an ash twig in your pocket will keep
snakes from approaching you" and "sucking blood from the tail of a live
venomous snake is proof against aids."

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:http://www.paghat.com
visit my film reviews website:http://www.weirdwildrealm.com

May I refer you to www.senseofhumorimplants.com

cheers

oz.........sheeesh.......

There's a wee speck of a problem with people who get peevish the instant
they have a delusion that someone other than themselves lacks a sense of
humor. Nothing in my post denies you were TRYING to be funny, but the list
of similar popular beliefs is just naturally WAY funnier because people
really do believe such silliness & that's amusing. Don't try the implants,
though, kiddo; I've heard they'll make you laugh at Benny Hill.

-paggers