Old 25-08-2008, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Containers for storing apples

Chris ] writes
Please could you recommend suitable containers for storing apples.

I suppose some kind of stacking baskets would do the trick.

Any recommendations as to what to use and where to get them?

You used to be able to get proper wooden stacking boxes, from veg shops
and so on - basically 4 upright in the corners, and thin splintery wood
like they used for punnets making the sides and bottom. Haven't seen
these around for years.

An alternative is cardboard boxes used for tomatoes, discarded by
supermarkets. These will stack OK, but are susceptible to rot if, eg,
you are keeping apples in a cellar (and apples are better kept in an
atmosphere which isn't completely dry).

Key is to be able to easily inspect, so avoid having apples in more than
a single layer if possible.

I use a combination of plastic baskets (with plenty of holes in the
sides), and plastic carrier bags. This is not ideal, and I wouldn't
recommend it, but it works well enough. I do get losses, but my apple
crop is large enough to cope with that.
--
Kay