Old 25-08-2008, 06:33 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Wayne Boatwright Wayne Boatwright is offline

Default Black Ant Problem

On Mon 25 Aug 2008 09:58:27a, Art told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
We live in the Arizona desert near Phoenix and have a significant

problem
with large black ants in the yard. We have had exterminators (costly),

but
they were only successful for a period of time before the ants returned.

I had read somewhere that one could make a solution of water, sugar, and
borax (boric acid?), which was an effective poison for ants. The

problem is
that I don't know the proportions that should be used.

Can anyone here help with this? Are there other homemade options that I
don't know about? We're trying to steer clear of commercial products,

and
also stay as "green" as possible.

TIA

If they're "in the yard" why are they a problem? I can see wanting to
kill them if they are in the house but mostly ants and insects in a yard
are a good thing.

Generally, I would agree, but there are literally thousands of them and
they bite, and I don't want the to end up in the house.

The poison you mention is only effective against sweet eating ants. Give
yours a drop of syrup and see if they devour it.

Worth a try.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 08(VIII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)