Old 25-08-2008, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Perfect Gift?

"carrie26" wrote via gardenbanter

Hi, Im new to this site and know very little about gardnening, however I
am going to be meeting my partners mother for the first time soon and
she is a keen gardnener and I would like to take her a rare plant as a
gift and also learn a bit about gardnening so it might be something we
can bond over and do together. So what I'm asking is... Does anyone
know what kind of rare plant i could get for her and will anyone be
able to give me any knowledge on gardnening? please?

Welcome to this newsgroup, lots of knowledgeable gardeners here on lots of
subjects so just ask.

Regarding a rare plant (or do you mean unusual?) for your partners Mum, it
depends what her gardening passion is. Buying something she isn't interested
in or something she already has would be the worst possible outcome so ask
your partner what her interest is and if there is anything she really wants.
If you can't find out then the Citrus Tree idea is a good one as long as she
will have somewhere very light and frost free for it during the winter and a
S. facing wall for it for the rest of the year. I would recommend a Lemon
Tree or Tahiti Lime as the fruit are always useful.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden