Old 26-08-2008, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message
"Marie Dodge" wrote

"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message

I can only shop at the stores that are here. There's a nursery that
carries bone and blood meal and I think they still have Fish Emulsion.
It would be several hundred dollars to purchase enough for our gardens.

How much is it in the US? I bought a 2 litre container for about $12
about 3 years ago and I'm still using it up. I have about 3 acres of
garden.

I'm talking about *ALL* the organic stuff I would need for *ALL* of our
the gardens.

Did I misplace a decimal somewhere? I'm sure you said 900 square feet was
the size of your garden.

The three gardens come to roughly 900 to 1000 sq. ft. combined.

Are you from the school that if a little does good, more will do more
good?

No. I wasn't raised to be wasteful.

You are way out of kilter with what such a modest garden would require.

I'll also make note of something you said in another post. You said that
you put leaves directly on the garden in the fall and till them in in the
spring. I would suggest composting the leaves with grass clippings in a
separate compost pile. High carbon directly on to the garden has a
tendency to steal away the nitrogen. You want to satisfy compost's
nitrogen need before it hits the garden. That will also allow beneficial
microbes to develop and supply high levels of beneficial humic acid.

You're 100% correct but we don't have enough grass clippings and no one to
rake up those we do occasionally have. They're sparse, light and left to
decay on the lawn. The lawn is some kind of Bermuda grass that is fine and
needs little mowing.

Steve Young