Old 26-08-2008, 06:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
Marie Dodge wrote:

"zxcvbob" wrote in message

IIRC, horticultural oil will take care of both of those.

Sorry but that is not true. I bought Organicide (oils) and so far the
whiteflies are still on the plants, as are the spider mites. Neem Oil
didn't work either. It's been well over a month since I started spraying
the plants and so far so response. What did work, but can't be used on
Vegetables, is the Systemic I used on the flowers. That worked in about a
week. The flowers are clean. The veggies, stinking like cod liver oil are
still infested.

Just plain old horticultural oil, like what you use for a dormant oil
spray on fruit trees. (I believe "Vlock" is the brand I have; I bought
it at Walmart when they were clearing out the garden stuff to make room
for Christmas stuff.) It should have directions on the bottle for using
it half-strength as a summer oil spray.

You're right. Organic pesticides are indeed snake oil and just as useless. I
bought the mix for summer spray. It's called Organicide. It's made mainly
from fish oil and smells bad. The WF and SM don't mind the oil at all, even
when drenched in it. It has no effect on them. Neither did Pyrethrum. It
seems as each organic snake oil product fails another is recommend. Four
have failed now. I'm not keen on running through the large number that may
be out there, none working better than these that already failed. It
doesn't matter though since that garden has been abandoned. The plants will
be pulled up this week and all the debris burned.

Sounds like you bought snake oil again. ;-)

Bob