Old 26-08-2008, 09:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Ironite Questions?

"Marie Dodge" wrote in message
"zxcvbob" wrote in message

IIRC, horticultural oil will take care of both of those.

Sorry but that is not true. I bought Organicide (oils) and so far the
whiteflies are still on the plants, as are the spider mites. Neem Oil
didn't work either. It's been well over a month since I started
spraying the plants and so far so response. What did work, but can't be
used on Vegetables, is the Systemic I used on the flowers.

Just plain old horticultural oil, like what you use for a dormant oil
spray on fruit trees. (I believe "Vlock" is the brand I have; I bought
it at Walmart when they were clearing out the garden stuff to make room
for Christmas stuff.) It should have directions on the bottle for using
it half-strength as a summer oil spray.

You're right. Organic pesticides are indeed snake oil and just as useless.
I bought the mix for summer spray. It's called Organicide. It's made
mainly from fish oil and smells bad. The WF and SM don't mind the oil at
all, even when drenched in it. It has no effect on them.

You have clearly worked very hard for many years breeding generation after
generation of hardy and spray resistant insects in your garden. In that
situation the more simple remedies that work for the rest of us clealry
won't work for you. You'll just have to put up with your problems.

I find that simple home made oil spray using kitchen oil kills what I need
it to, but then I don't want to have a resistant population of pests. If
your insects can breathe through a coating of oil, then yours have clearly
developed a snorkel breathing apparatus.