Old 26-08-2008, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pavel314 Pavel314 is offline

Default Transplanting Blackberry Bushes

We have several thickets of blackberry bushes around the property and get
enough blackberries for me to make wine and my wife to make pies and jelly.
Picking them in this wild, inter-twined state is a bit of a chore as anyone
who's picked blackberries knows. Plus a couple of thickets are way out back,
quite a walk from the home.

I have a lot of room near the main garden so I plan to transplant some
blackberry plants into nice rows with room to walk between them, making the
bushes accessible from either side. Sort of like the vineyard. I'll leave
most of the wild thickets as they are so that we can continue to get berries
until the "tamed" blackberries start to bear fruit.

I've read that they like acid soil and several websites recommended pruning
them to a short cane and transplanting at this time of year (late summer
here in Maryland) so that they'll start growing new canes during the fall.

Has anyone had experience with transplanting blackberries or setting up a
tame berry patch? Anything I should be sure to do or not to do?

Paul