Old 26-08-2008, 12:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Pat Kiewicz Pat Kiewicz is offline

Default Pepper saga.......... Pepper expert anyone?

Marie Dodge said:

Why would soap kill them in seconds when it's not a poison? Have you
done this yourself with wasps or is this something you read on an
organic site selling "magic soaps?"

Now you even have me believing you are in this for the trolling.

Lady, soap solution kills insects. Kills them fast. Soap kills earwigs
lickety split, even though actual over-the-counter poisons barely slow
them down.. You have to be sure to cover them with soap spray.
I have personally murdered hosts of earwigs and aphids with soap.
And I have accidentally killed a few bees with it. If someone says
he's killed wasps with soap spray, I'm inclined to believe him.

The only caution is that soap can also damage plant leaves. And the
solutionto *that* is to come back around and rinse the plants off after
the pests are killed.

Cornell sez:
Insecticidal soap products work by smothering soft bodied pests and
disrupting their cuticle layer. In order to be effective, it is necessary to
thoroughly coat the pest. After the soap dries on the plant surface, insects
and mites will not pick up a lethal dose.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/res...mfs/12soap.php

After enlightenment, the laundry.