Old 26-08-2008, 02:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel[_2_] jadel[_2_] is offline

Default Stan. saccata --cinnamon or mothballs?

On Aug 24, 6:38*pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
Ditto that I'm happy your family is OK. *4 landfalls is a record, no?

As to the stanhopea I've noticed the same thing in cattleyas, that the first
fragarence to hit your nose is sweet then later its either old melons or
mothballs.

I have no idea if the mothball fragarence is particularly attractive to male
euglossine bees. *I know Lankersteriana published a few article in Spanish,
but alas I don't read Spanish very well anymore. *I *think* Rudolph Jenny
did an article in 'Orchids' a month or two ago, but really, Google is your
friend. *Nina Rach from Houston has the Stanhopea pages and a quick email to
her would probably yeild a good response.http://stanhopea.autrevie.com/stanhopea_saccata.html

Thanks for the rederences.

All this has led me to an article about the accidental introduction of
a euglossine bee, --Euglossa viridissima-- into south Florida around
a Ft. Lauderdale butterfly park. The bees have since moved into the
surrounding areas.

The --Stan. saccata-- flowers are gone now, but the other Stanhopea
should open in a few days. I'll try to see what kinds of bees it
attracts. As I posted earlier, the saccata was a big hit with
bumblebees. BTW, I live in West Virginia, so the --Euglossa
viridissima-- won't be putting in an appearance.

J. Del Col