Old 09-04-2003, 04:08 AM
Gary Flynn

Default deer in my garden

JNJ wrote:
i have tried everything! now, i am ready to put up an electric fence
to keep them out. any advice would be greatly appreciated. how high
does an electric fence need to be? 4 feet? 6 feet? 8 feet? and
how far apart do the strands of wire need to be? 6"? 12"?

Wayne,

Have you tried a motion activated sprinkler? Deer are easily startled and
these pups have been shown to work very nicely in keeping the critters away
from prized vegetation.

I had good luck with one of these last year for about three
months. Then it quit working. That, unfortunately was the
problem with them. They were on clearance at Lowes here for
only $19.95 and I was at wits end with the deer so I figured
I try it. The first one didn't work at all. The second worked
great for about three months. So purchased two others, one for
my neighbor after he saw how well it kept the deer away and one
for a spare. Both were DOA. The manufacturer's web site listed
them for something like $79.95 which I sure as hell wouldn't pay
given my experience. If you try 'em, make sure you get 'em
someplace they can be returned easily. And make sure they have
a decent warranty period too.