Old 26-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline
Registered User

Red face

Thanks for that Phred, yes I know the cross pollination should be tried both
ways, but here I have a snag. Due to the climate here, in order to be fairly confident that the Eriobotrya would have any chance of carrying the fruit to maturity, so that I could extract seeds, I would have to employ heated greenhouses and artificial 'plant' lights.
However, the plant I intend to pollinate is fully hardy here, and produces heavy crops of fruit with viable seed.
I am hoping that a few of the F1 plants will carry the 'female' hardiness.

I know I may also run into problems if the pollen grain size shown a marked variation between the 2 subjects, but I'll have a go anyhow, nothing to lose.