Old 26-08-2008, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Composter

Graham Harrison wrote:
"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Pete C" wrote in message
Has anyone here designed and built their own rotating composter?
Looked at commercial ones, but I can't afford a second mortgage!

They are ridiculously expensive aren't they!

My reply is no, but if I were starting again - i.e. without the
three or more bins we have and don't want to be mde redunandant, we
probably would. You know those rotary bins they use (or used to use) for
tombola
tickets? One of those could do the job ...

Mary

I've had it suggested to me that the commercial ones don't aerate the
compost well. If that's the case I doubt if a tombola based design
would work.

Good point. But I've read that the rotating type can pruduce compost in an
amazingly short time. However, they don't explain how/why.
--
Pete C
London UK