Old 27-08-2008, 04:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default $500 a plate spaghetti sauce

In article ,
General Schvantzkopf wrote:

On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:20:11 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:

General Schvantzkopf wrote:
I've had my worst harvest ever, the only thing that did well this year
was my blueberry bushes and my cucumbers. Most of my tomato plants
died, those that didn't have only produced enough tomatoes for a couple
of quarts of sauce (thus the $500/plate estimate). I don't think the
remaining tomatoes are going to ripen because the plants think it's
fall (the leaves on my blueberry bushes have already turned color). My
corn isn't maturing either, I've got small ears with missing kernels.
The peas and beans all died in July. July was solid torrential rain,
and August has been cold which is why the plants think it's fall.

I'm in Massachusetts near Lowell and Nashua. Has anyone around here had
better results than these?

Did you at least have a couple of tomato sandwiches or BLT's? I can't
imagine *cooking* a small tomato crop when store-bought canned tomatoes
are as good (and cheap) as they are.

Bob

Actually the cherry tomatoes are doing OK, I've been eating a handful of
them every day, it's the large tomatoes that I grow for sauce. The large
tomatoes are getting no where.

See post to phorbin.
--

Billy