Old 27-08-2008, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Containers for storing apples

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Christina Websell" contains
these words:

Go to your local large supermarket like Tesco or Asda and beg for the
polystyrene trays that apples come in, they keep them apart so they
cannot
infect each other if they rot. After that, you need to devise a box to
keep
the trays apart if you have too many.

I'd avoid the polystyerine ones, and only take the papier maché ones.
The apples sweat on the plastic, and rot will start earlier.

You may well be right, and yours will be better but the cardboard-type apple
trays are not easily available to be scavenged from my local supermarkets.
I don't mind too much if some of my apples rot, I have a lot of them and I
keep chickens who are always happy to hoover up a rotten apple and it saves
me a bit on layers pellets which are a horrible price atm.