Old 27-08-2008, 05:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Marie Dodge Marie Dodge is offline

Default $500 a plate spaghetti sauce

"General Schvantzkopf" wrote in message
. ..
I've had my worst harvest ever, the only thing that did well this year was
my blueberry bushes and my cucumbers. Most of my tomato plants died, those
that didn't have only produced enough tomatoes for a couple of quarts of
sauce (thus the $500/plate estimate). I don't think the remaining tomatoes
are going to ripen because the plants think it's fall (the leaves on my
blueberry bushes have already turned color). My corn isn't maturing
either, I've got small ears with missing kernels. The peas and beans all
died in July. July was solid torrential rain, and August has been cold
which is why the plants think it's fall.

I'm in Massachusetts near Lowell and Nashua. Has anyone around here had
better results than these?

Don't feel too bad. I have a friend in Maine whose plants rotted out with
all the rain. I don't think they harvested more than a basket full of
veggies. We had an infestation of whitefly and 2-spotted spider mite the
likes of which the ag agent has never seen before. One of the 3 gardens were
wiped out. Every pepper and tomato plant was destroyed. The cukes and the
cantaloupes and the winter squash were also attacked. No insecticide,
either organic or chemical worked. We are getting tomatoes, beans, chard
and other veggies from the other 2 gardens though. The collards are so
infested with whitefly as to be inedible.