Old 27-08-2008, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default Perfect Gift?

In article , carrie26
writes

Hi, Im new to this site and know very little about gardnening, however I
am going to be meeting my partners mother for the first time soon and
she is a keen gardnener and I would like to take her a rare plant as a
gift and also learn a bit about gardnening so it might be something we
can bond over and do together. So what I'm asking is... Does anyone
know what kind of rare plant i could get for her and will anyone be
able to give me any knowledge on gardnening? please?

I would hate to be given someone's idea of a rare plant It probably
isn't (unless the giver is a fellow gardener) or might not suit my soil
etc.

A lovely hand fork or trowel might be welcome as you always lose them,
or as Sacha says, a frost resistant pot though that might be abit bulky
to transport.

I've recently bought several people that plastic elastic stuff for tying
up plants, not sure what it's called but it's like the old tubing for
scooby dos (you'll only remember them if you are as old as the hills
like me!) or french knitting. It comes on a roll like string but
consists of a very long, very fine rubber tubing which can be cut
easily and tied around plants and yet be untied easily as well.

Another fiend who was unwell got a pile of all the latest gardening
magazines, those she liked but with which she would never have treated
hereself.

My best presents at christmas include 5 inch pots, plastic seed trays,
very large white labels or gardeneing tokens

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph