Old 27-08-2008, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy Janet Tweedy is offline

Default IVY IVY IVY

In article , Pete C
writes

John

Execution/castration!
A pair of shears used with enthusiasm to control, or cut it off at the base
for a permanent solution.

I also have the same thing, it comes in from the gardens at the back
where they dump their rubbish and now have dumped 3 foot higher than my
garden the common boundary (hawthorn trees) now has ivy growing up and
covering the trees but try as I might to cut all the vines that i can
see the *** things never wilt at the top of the trees! They are about 20
foot up so waving a 12 foot pruner becomes a somewhat hazardous process
atop a ladder, especially when the pruner goes through the branch and
the blades have nothing to hang onto

I've tried sbk, chopping hacking, digging away the soil on my side and
am now considering that path deweeder stuff. The ivy seems to laugh as
glysophate!

Before anyone says i ought to leave it blah blah, i do have a lot more
elsewhere but i need to see that the boundary wire is intact so that the
dogs can't get out or annoy the other households.

One of mine used to let herself through and pinch the gloves from a shed
at the back and bring them back before chewing them. i thought they were
mine for some time until i found mine pristine in the shed and then
watched her clambering through the broken wire gaps to trot into the
open shed door (they never closed it)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph