Old 27-08-2008, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jean B. Jean B. is offline

Default $500 a plate spaghetti sauce

General Schvantzkopf wrote:
I've had my worst harvest ever, the only thing that did well this year was
my blueberry bushes and my cucumbers. Most of my tomato plants died, those
that didn't have only produced enough tomatoes for a couple of quarts of
sauce (thus the $500/plate estimate). I don't think the remaining tomatoes
are going to ripen because the plants think it's fall (the leaves on my
blueberry bushes have already turned color). My corn isn't maturing
either, I've got small ears with missing kernels. The peas and beans all
died in July. July was solid torrential rain, and August has been cold
which is why the plants think it's fall.

I'm in Massachusetts near Lowell and Nashua. Has anyone around here had
better results than these?

I was gonna say... This year I have pretty much decided that it
might not be worthwhile to grow tomatoes--esp. since I do have
access to a nice selection of heirloom ones grown nearby (in
Concord, Mass.). This has been an exceptionally nasty summer though.

--
Jean B.