Old 27-08-2008, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Is My Apple Tree Sick? (or how to take better care of it)

On Aug 27, 3:40�pm, Leon Fisk wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2008 05:51:06 -0700, "Ted Mittelstaedt"

wrote:

big snip

Yellow Transparent is a cooking apple.

So from what I can tell you are trying to find out what was
used to cross pollinate the old Yellow Transparents?

I live pretty close "The Ridge", which is world renown for
apples and other fruit. Used to have a pair of trees just to
the north of me, one was red and the other was purported to
be a transparent. As far as I know they are still there with
a ton of brush grown up around them. Only the deer know for
sure

An old abandon orchard to the west of me had transparents
too. Pretty sure the owner is still with us and I could
probably ask him. Better yet try asking this guy first:

http://www.hrt.msu.edu/staff/st_schwail.htm

If he doesn't know, he will know who to ask. We still have
quite a few old time orchard growers around here. If that is
the Phil I think it is he grew up on a farm/orchard in this
area.

Let us know if you find out anything useful.

Useful:
http://www.starkbros.com/access?acti...4&collection=0