Old 27-08-2008, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mary Fisher Mary Fisher is offline

Default IVY IVY IVY

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

I too have an ivy problem and the only thing I've found that works is
blackberry/tree poison. From memory the active ingredient is TRICLOPYR
but anything tough enough to kill a tree would also kill ivy.

You have to plan the murder of ivy like a war though, a single battle
isn't enough. I've been trying to kill a humungeous plot of ivy for
years and I have it on the run but still have a huge lot to get rid of.

Problem with ivy - it seems capable of thriving without any roots in the
ground.
Getting your nasty stuff to do its business is thus made more
problematical.
The only way in seems to be through the leaves and even then the spread
seems very limited.

A lot of mine has escaped over head high and so far has survived my
various forms of attack.

Wondering where this Triclo stuff can be got and where and how it should
be applied ?

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

Come to think of it, we had one which I planted at the corner of the house.
I took it down years later when it was working its way under the roof tiles
despite my giving it an annual haircut. Everything was pulled off the brick
walls and then Spouse dug down and pulled up as much root as he could then
concreted the hole. It hasn't shown any sign of returning yet and that must
be at least three years ago.

Am I tempting fate though ... ?