Old 28-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Tim Perry Tim Perry is offline
Registered User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
Not as long as you have to wait for walnuts. I bought about a 3rd year mulberry tree, and within about 4 years
You are clearly in a fairly warm corner of the country if you think you can get something off a loquat tree.
Have you considered feijoas?
You'll have no trouble with asian pear
Cornus kousa is one of the most delicious things in my garden,
I read this about pecan: They are certainly hardy enough, but seem to be cultivated in places like Georgia and Texas
What about saskatoons/juneberries? They are delicious. I have an Amelanchier alnifolia
I read this about pitanga. "The Surinam cherry is adapted to tropical and subtropical regions.
If you really are in a supermild corner of the country, you could probably grow avocado.
As a quince grower, I've always been intrigued by pseudocydonia sinensis, which is said to be edible raw.
Hi, Yes I know that I am taking a big gamble with many of these, but we are just 'having a go' to try and get greater variety.

The mulberry is pot grown, a cultivar called Capsrum, and is supposed to fruit in 2-3 years, we shall see how true that turns out to be. As it is advised to plant 2 varieties, my second choice is Illinois Everbearing.

Norfolk is not so mild. I recall seeing a Loquat in fruit in my grandmother's garden in Epsom, Surrey.

Had not thought of Feijoas, will have to look into that, and the same goes for Cornus Kousa, but I'm afraid the Avacado pear cannot manage outside the greenhouse.

I chose the Pecan var Carison, a true northern variety from Canada. Size is not a problem, but it does tend to crop bi-annually I'm told.

Saskatoons sound interesting, particularly the var Thiessen grown commercially in Canada.

My Pitangas are in pots outside. At the moment they seem to be O.K., but not growing as fast as they are supposed to. Seeded in late spring, they are now about 1 ft tall.

All my apples are from cuttings scrounged from friends and grafted onto wild crab stocks. Same thing with the pears, only they are on hawthorn stocks. Peaches grown from stone, and some have been grafted to carry my
plum trees. Cherries are grafted on suckers I found around a flowering Almond. Figs, Walnuts, Chestnuts, Hazels are all on their own roots.

Yes, I do like a bit of a challenge !! How can you discover you limits if you don't push the boundaries ?