Old 28-08-2008, 10:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Re-using Container Soil

On Aug 27, 9:54*pm, "Ed" wrote:
We have a lot of planters, containers, and large pots full of annuals. Would
like to re-use the potting mix. Any input would be most appreciated.
--
Captain Ed

Add coarse organic material, such as sifted compost loosely shaken
through 1/2 - 3/4 mesh to replace organic material that has been
consumed..
What happens to your old container mix is the organic material is
consumed or breaks down into a fine muck. Because fine muck lacks
decent pore space for the roots to respire you need to also add coarse
pearlite or masons sand to open things up a bit. In addition before
adding the new materials I would really flood old stuff with water to
leach out the salts that buildup.

Use new mix for seed starting as the seedlings are more susceptible to
diseases like damping off and the like.

If you tend to overwater then add more coarse sharp sand or peralite
than you think you might need, it drains faster and adds pore space.