Old 28-08-2008, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Patrick Patrick is offline

Default Transplanting Blackberry Bushes

Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

We "espalier" our blackberries on wire and get a very nice crop. We
throw a net over them when they start to ripen but we do share a few
with the birds. Ours are the thornless type and they do not run. We
did a similar thing where we used to live and they kept coming up all
over the lawn, so we changed cultivars. I posted 5 different pics of
our blackberries (first year) so you can get an idea how we did them..
tamely:

http://community.webshots.com/user/IsabellaWoodhouse?vhost=community

Our soil is improved lousy clay, but not acid. Blackberries don't seem
to mind wet feet as much as the raspberries which we had to move. They
transplanted well. My husband is thinking of putting in another row of
"fence" for the berries when he gets some time. I trim out some of the
older canes each year. They are far more filled in than they were in
2002, needless to say but these were the only pics I had readily
available. These were taken in the fall, probably late September or
Early October. Our first year garden in our present location.

Isabella

Pardon me Isabella, I was admiring your photos and wondering where you
live.

Thx
--
Patrick