Old 28-08-2008, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default Garden Oddity: What the heck is it?

In article
,
Isabella Woodhouse wrote:

Out picking beans yesterday, I noted the appearance of three huge fungi,
one at the inner base of each pole, on one "teepee" of my pole beans.
This is the first I noticed them so I have no idea how long they've been
there. Seems like it can't be too long since I pick beans at least
every other day. I've searched and searched but cannot seem to find a
pictorial database of fungi so I can identify these critters. They are
a mottle ecru and light adobe color and look similar to those oyster
fungi in that they are kind of layered. But I can't be sure what (or
why) they are since I can't seem to find a large library of pics for
comparison.

The beans are great and don't seem to be affected--- yet anyway. It is
interesting that they are growing at the base of each pole. The beans
on this particular pole are mostly rattlesnake beans but I can't imagine
the relevance. I wonder if it is some kind of symbiotic relationship.
They are so large, I fear spading them out will ruin the roots of my
bean plants. One is a good 9 inches in diameter. And I can't take a
pic right now since my DH has the camera and is away on business.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Isabella

Here's a place to start looking for photos:

http://mycology.cornell.edu/

For positive ID, you need to get a spore print. Cut the stalk off a
mushroom cap; put the cap, gills down, on a piece of paper or half on a
dark piece of paper and half on a white piece of paper; put a bowl over
the 'shroom cap. Let it sit for awhile (up to 12 hours), then see what
color spores drop out of the cap.

Or if you have a natural history museum or college with a
biology/botany/horticulture dept. in your area, bring them a 'shroom for
ID. There will be someone around who's a fan of fungi who will know what
it is.

Jan