Old 28-08-2008, 06:25 PM posted to bionet.plants
Luna Luna is offline

Default Pollen Advice Please

At 01:04 PM 8/28/2008, Tim Perry;811782 Wrote:
Hi All, can anyone advise me on the best way to store pollen for up to 1
year, and keep it viable. Please.

Hum, 46 readers - 0 replies. Oh, come on, we don't mind if your
spelling is
not too good. It's ideas I seek, so don't be shy, someone out there
must have
some knowledge on this subject, Pretty Please.

My only experience is with storing cattail pollen for making pancakes. I
sift it to get rid of the bugs and then wrap it in wax paper (used to use
wax paper bags, but no one carries them anymore.) Then I put the wax paper
packet in a plastic ziplock baggie and put the packet in the
freezer. Keeps well for food; viability is not an issue.

My instincts suggest keeping pollen coolish rather than warm, and low
moisture rather than very damp. Viability of stored pollen and ideal
storage conditions may vary from one species to another depending on the
native climate of the plant.

Try different storage methods and see what works best. Then post your
results. )

Best of luck,
Luna in PA, USA