Old 29-08-2008, 07:36 AM posted to aus.gardens
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default horse manure with sawdust in it

"0tterbot" wrote in message
hello,
bought a trailer load of horse manure from teh stables, but sadly it
contains sawdust (rather than straw - not that i blame them when comparing
prices of the two things).

i'm concerned there is so much sawdust in there that mulching with it atm is
not a good idea - having read that the sawdust will break down quite slowly,
using up all the nitrogen in the process. it looks to be up to about 50%(??)
sawdust although it is hard to tell. it's old & hot & breaking down, but you
can still see sawdust, iyswim.

how long would you wait until using it? i put a very little over the
asparagus (which i mulch constantly, having put the plants in too shallowly
in the first place), & mulched some empty beds with it (going to use the
beds for potatoes in a month or two) but that is all.

any thoughts? ta!
kylie

I would expect the nutrients in the manure and urine would be adequate to
support the breakdown of the sawdust and other fibre. This seems to have
commenced already so I would use it directly in moderation.

David