Old 29-08-2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Organic Buying spree.............

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Omelet" wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote

"Marie Dodge" wrote:

Have you figured out the cost for a 1,500 sq. ft. garden? Nothing
economical about it. Humic acid is provided by the free compost we
add every year. The fish emulsion is supposed to supply
micronutrients.

I'm still just using the old composted soil from where the chicken and
emu yards used to be, but your garden is bigger than mine. g

I know what you mean. That's some GOOD stuff. When I kept dairy goats
and chickens I always had several piles of manure in different stages of
composting and no close neighbors to complain. Steam would be coming
off them on cold days. :-)

lol Seen that too!

I can still shovel emu turds for composting

even tho' I just have the one pet bird now...

so were they good eatin?

Actually, the wild ones were. g
I can differentiate.

Taste kinda like Venison... not chicken!

I gave away the two tame pairs.

The tastiest emu were the young ones roasted or smoked whole, skin on at
about 16 to 32 weeks. Plenty wild when I let daddy bird set the nest and
raise the young.

In emus, the female just lays the eggs. The rooster does all the work.
--
Peace! Om

"Crime does not pay as well as Politics".
-- Anon.