Old 29-08-2008, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Jungle warfare; crazy weather

On Aug 29, 11:02*am, Des Higgins wrote:
On Aug 29, 10:31 am, "Cat(h)" wrote:

On Aug 28, 7:57 pm, Des Higgins wrote:

On Aug 28, 5:03 pm, "R.A.Omond" wrote:

Des Higgins wrote:
[...snip...]

Time for me to stop posting under my real name methinks; it is sad but
inevitable; Thanks for the nice words;

Des

We look forward to the return of ...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
*Bertha* *Bilofsky* :-)

stop!! *There is a story behind that I better mail you about in
private (truth is stranger etc.).
In the meantime, seeing as this is a gardening newsgroup, how are yer
onions?
I planted a batch of sets on your advice and they have done well. *I
will lift them shortly.- Hide quoted text -

You mean to say you've actually been *able* to get into your cabbage
patch without sinking?
Joke apart, I can barely get into mine, not so much because of the
heavy wet ground, but because the consistent rain and relative heat of
August has caused a MASSIVE spurt of growth. *Every plant has shot up
by at least 30 cm in every direction, I swear! *The best evidence are
the sunflowers, although my Gunnera is now rattling my bedroom window
and howling "Feed meeee!!".
Anyhoo, I'm going to have to take a machete to the whole thing soon.
Harvesting the runner beans practically requires organising a tropical
rainforest expedition.

Cat(h)

Same happened us. *Our garden disappeared under a wall of growth. We
were away for a few weeks and then busy and we had 6 weeks of growth
(weeds in beds; wildflower meadow gone mad; shrubs turned into trees;
It took my wife 2 days to clear; I have some pumpkin plants, two of
which are thriving and which ended up literally taking up 2-3 sq
metres each.

On the other hand, my tomatoes in greenhouse have been really really
late to ripen. *The sungold (orange cherry type) were a month late and
my beefsteak ones are only just barely ripening now.- Hide quoted text -

I'm glad to hear that about your tomatoes Des, I was beginning to
think I was the only one in that situation. The only tomatoes that
are ready to eat are the tiny cherry ones, Tom Thumb?

Judith