Old 29-08-2008, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°² ®óñ©  ©  ²°¹°-°² is offline

Default Jungle warfare; crazy weather

On Fri, 29 Aug 2008 05:17:13 -0700 (PDT), Des Higgins
wrote and included this (or some of this):

On the other hand, my tomatoes in greenhouse have been really really
late to ripen. The sungold (orange cherry type) were a month late and
my beefsteak ones are only just barely ripening now.- Hide quoted text -

I'm glad to hear that about your tomatoes Des, I was beginning to
think I was the only one in that situation. The only tomatoes that
are ready to eat are the tiny cherry ones, Tom Thumb?

Judith

I will probably still end up needing a recipe for green tomato pickle
or chutney. Out of maybe 30 beefsteak tomatoes, only one has ripened
and 2 are now looking orange tinged.

I've been picking loads of ripe tomatoes for 6 weeks in my unheated
greenhouse (in South Wales) All-sorts, including beef steak types
and conventional.

Having kept the neighbours and family supplied, I'm now skinning and
chopping tomatoes for the freezer for future use in chilis etc.

Similarly with cucumbers. Three plants have yielded about 4-5
cucumbers per day for the last month.

Cucumber and watercress soup is delicious.

--
®óñ© © ²°¹°-°²